About From Boys to Men
From Boys to Men is a leadership development programme that ensures participants succeed in the pursuit of their goals, and embark on a pathway that will enable them to fulfil their potential so that they will complete their studies, achieve their target grades and get into their desired business or career.
From Boys to Men is delivered over the course of 12 Months culminating in a planned graduation event at the end of the programme.
The core aim of this programme is to overcome any issues around the progression of black and ethnic minority students into higher education, entrepreneurship or highly paid jobs. Studies show that nationally there is still an attainment gap between BAME pupils and their white counterparts. And in some places a 27% achievement gap between black and white students. BAME students are less likely to gain a first or 2:1 degree in comparison to their white peers. Students from a Black Caribbean background also have the highest non-continuation rates within Higher Education of all ethnic groups.
From Boys to Men is designed to support a cohort of BAME students and equip them with the skills and knowledge needed to fulfil their potential and effectively engage with the world of work. Our target is for 50% of the students that complete the programme to achieve a 2:1 or a 1st Class degree or start their own business.
Central to this process is personal coaching and mentoring for each student that takes part. Students will build a coaching relationship that might help them to achieve their objectives, which might include:
– Gaining an insight into different roles, organisations and sectors
– Developing skills (communication, relationship building, organisational)
– Networking and making new contacts
– Learning how to market yourself, through CVs and applications
– Getting advice on assessment centres and interviews
– Exploring options for the future
– Starting their own business or enterprise
– Becoming an influential leader in the community
– 3 x 1/2-day workshops on developing your goals and creating and implementing a plan for achieving those goals
– 2 x One-to-one mentoring calls every month for 30-45 mins
– A ‘From Boys To Men’ workbook with templates, practical activities and tasks that’ll keep you on track to refine your goals, build your confidence and get results
– The opportunity to meet successful leaders and entrepreneurs
– Access to our community Facebook group, where you can get ideas, advice, support and accountability from peers, guest speakers and mentors.